2/04/2015

About Hogs

Does an asinine expression qualify as a cliche? The idiom "to cut a fat hog in the ass" is an argument in favor of "yes". To cut a fat hog in the ass is associated with having a raucous time or more generally to have something beneficial to occur in your favor. That being so, I'm still perplexed. If I won the lottery I would find no pleasure in cutting a hog in the ass.

Going the whole hog is another expression that I prefer not to touch with a ten foot pole. To go the whole hog implies that I've done something completely. No part of the hog has gone to waste, not even the ass. Uggh! 

I didn't purposely have hogs hogging the limelight in this post at the expense of pigs. Which prompts me to muse about the difference between a hog and a pig. With the aid of the all knowing Google, I discovered that in the United States the term "pig" refers to a young swine weighing less than 120 pounds while the term "hog" refers to an older swine weighing more than 120 pounds. Not so in Great Britain where a pig is a pig is a pig.

I must admit, writing this post was like cutting a hog in the ass. Ouch!

No comments: